This apartment has something I've always wanted: a red front door. However, this particular red door was looking a little sad, with scratches that showed its original (oh shit no!) mission brown paint and so I decided it was time to repaint it.
That was several months ago. Yes, I find it's best not to rush into these things ;) Actually, like many things with this apartment, it's taken me a while to work out what to do with it. You see, the door has glass panels, which means that the regular light and the emergency light, right outside my door, give my hallway and bedroom ugly artificial glow at night. The first night I moved in, I tacked up a sarong I bought in Provence, and it's been there ever since. Which means that I get to sleep at night but the hallway's too dark during the day. And that's partly because of the red--great from the front, not so much from the back.
And then I found a pic of a green door on Pinterest. Perfect! I'd have red for the front, green for the back. Off to the hardware store I went, and found a tester pot of Muppet Green, but the only glossy red I could get was in a liter tin, or something equally as ridiculous when you're talking one side of one door. So I got a pot of something matte instead. Yep, you know it: bad idea. I finally got time last week to go back and this time found a small pot of glossy red.
Huzzah! Away I went! Well, you know, a week later. I'd like to say I was waiting for the hot weather and that's kinda try but mainly a lie. As Ellen says, "Anyways"--here's the front door after I started to touch it up. Just picture it with chips and scrapes, with mission brown showing through. Oh yeah, I think they say you should sand, etc, first, but to hell with that. I just washed it down then started slapping the paint on.
She stopped to inspect the work:
See all the spiky ends? That's where Possum has chewed off the flowers. But you might also be able to see chunks of garlic--I tossed a heap on the plants the other night and that seems to have warded off Possum for now.
Meanwhile, Redford did what Redford does:
I think it still needs a little bit of touching up, but I'm going to wait until it's properly dry--can't tell if the shiny/matte spots are just the way the light's falling or gaps. Oh, and I need to wipe off the bottom :)
And then! When that's done! I'm going to tackle the back. Here's how it looks now:
A green door, with shutters where the sarong currently is. And check out that hardware! While I was waiting for the paint to dry, I went online looking for info on changing locks (coz I don't like that my door has a brass number and silver handle) and found a link to a site with THE MOST GORGEOUS stuff! I don't know why, but I've always wanted a front door with a latch, it all feels so colonial New England to me, and this black matte one caught my eye. I don't give a damn if I'm going to have to get it shipped in from the US, I'm going to do that with the shutters, anyway.
Although I do kinda balk at this: